Background

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Turkey Birthday

On a Thanksgiving day, 27 years ago, a turkey was born who grew up to become my husband. He certainly is a turkey who entertains me constantly. He has these hilarious antics that no one sees but me. He sings to our dogs, grunts over good food, and picks on me with the mercilessness of a five-year-old boy! I've only gotten to share a small chunk of his life so far and still have much to learn about him. I've found a great way to do so is to turn to the other woman in his life who's gotten a much larger chunk before me: his mother!

I've heard it said that you don't truly know love until you've loved your own child and that a mother's love is irreplaceable. I've found little reason to refute either statement yet; I see how it could be. She brought him into this world, brought him up in this world, and handed him off (slowly but surely). She can take much of the credit for all the things I love about him. . . and for the things I live with because I love him. Watching the two of them interact is like studying for me; the more I get to know her, the more I get to know and appreciate him.

So, on his birthday, I'd like to celebrate him: the boy she raised, the man I found, and the husband I continue to grow up  with. I, too, have gotten to raise  him since the hand-off. Watching him go from guy to man and boyfriend to husband has been a great joy. At first, his accomplishments seemed to surprise only him. I  always knew he had more potential than he gave himself credit for. Now, he surprises even me. My handy, handsome, helpful hubby takes care of me in a way no boy ever could. He has certainly become a man who has benefited from the love of his mother, the guidance of his parents, and the advantages of a loving family; a man who makes me proud to be his wife and grateful to have his many antics to celebrate on his birthday.

While I can agree that a mother's love is irreplaceable (and hope my own children feel the same way someday), I am not sure I can completely agree with the belief that you don't truly know love until you've loved your own child.  I truly know love because I love the child of an awesome God and amazing mother.

Luff you, Turkey!

1 comment: