Background

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Recent Reminders & Realizations

I've recently been blessed to come to some new realizations and been reminded of things that brighten my day. I am certain there are some other young wives will relate to.

For instance, I realized that . . .
I have only owned a crock pot and an apron for about 3 years. Yet, I just spent my Saturday with both!
My in-laws are beginning to see our two dogs as their grandchildren. . . and that makes me smile.
Special people in my life remember songs I once sang that were special to them. . . and I even had my sister call and ask for a verse to be belted out over the phone.
No one ever "taught me to cook". Who really gets taught to cook anyway?
At least half of success is found in just trying.
Offering recipes to someone can make you a sweetheart or something much worse. Know that I share in love! See my latest twist on my chicken tortilla soup recipe below!

I was recently reminded. . .
I like my job because of its rewards AND its challenges.
My husband is happy with my cooking. He told a girl at work that, in 3 years, he can only recall 2 bad dinners and he said it with pride.
Old friends, and I mean the "older" kind, are valuable for reasons I never expected. 
To thank my husband for the little things. After all, going to the grocery store on a busy Saturday morning and navigating the baking isle for him is like me going to the auto store trying to find the right brand, type, and amount of oil for my car.
And asking for help is not an option for a man at the grocery store. And that's okay-if it takes him twice as long to find things and get back home, I'll not complain and thank him for his effort.
Our kitchen belongs to Mike and I just work in it. Ask him. When I make food to share with other people, he acts like I'm breaking some solemn vow I didn't know I took. :)
And playing in the snow isn't just for kids. . . hence finishing a blog nearly an hour after I started it. :)

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 packet taco seasoning
2 cans chicken broth
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can mexicorn
1/4 lb Velveeta
1/2 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 green pepper chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil to a medium heat. Add the chopped veggies and cook until softened.

In another bowl, place your shredded chicken and cover in the packet of taco seasoning. Place lid on top and shake to coat.

Add all remaining ingredients plus the chicken and veggies to a crock pot or stovetop kettle and heat to preferred temperature for service.

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips to accessorize this easy restaurant favorite at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment