Background

Monday, December 5, 2011

The New Normal = No Normal

It started in pregnancy. No matter what you were experiencing that you thought might be weird, the doctor inevitably told you it was normal. If you were up 5 pounds while your pregnant friend was up 15 at the same point, that's normal! When baby came, it continued!

No matter what the concern, I'd hear two things: "There is no normal" & "Oh, that's normal". Don't those two cancel each other out? I mean if there is no normal but you constantly tell me my kid, concern, issue, or situation is normal, you're contradicting yourself. I'm so sad I'm a black and white person because parenthood is going to kick my butt! Gray areas abound and no one has a straight answer to save my life. His legs are skinny-no, they're normal. These diapers don't fit, that's normal. Normally, those diapers would fit at his size.

I have found there's a breed that will tell you what's NOT normal. Moms. Other moms will tell you it's not normal for your kid to do things their kids didn't. Okay, not always, but it happens. They will tell you it's not normal for your kid to do the things you take for granted; sleep without binky, sleep "through the night" already, etcetera. That's fine. I'm coming to know there's no normal and that it's different for each kid, each mom, and each family.

I can't pinpoint a routine for the life of me. I've been taking notes on his nap times and feeding times so I can try to tell his sitter and his daddy what to expect when I'm back at work (in T minus 11 days sadly) but there's no normal, no routine to speak of, and every set of notes differs. Sleeping and eating are the biggies at this point and everyone wants to know how it's going (even those who won't be caring for him any time soon). I feel compelled to have an answer and make it seem like there's a norm to share but there just isn't. Some people seem to understand that and others don't. I certainly didn't before him and even was delusional to think that routine and norm would be established before going back to work. WOW-I've learned a lot and nothing at all at the same time. How's that for contradiction?

If my new normal is no normal at all but it results in staring at this, I'm soooooo over NORMAL!


No comments:

Post a Comment