Background

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Recipes to Share: New Year's Resolution: Make-Ahead Mommy

With my hubby's new work schedule sadly inclusive of Sundays (HOPEFULLY to remain just 4 hours in the afternoon so as not to take away our entire family day and joint church attendance), I've taken on a new challenge. Instead of taking the time to laze around and nap with my little guy (which I try to do at least once the rest of the weekend), I'm trying to be a Make-Ahead Mommy! My goal each Sunday is to make at least 4 meals to freeze. Thus far, I've done even more and have hardly used them as I still tend to cook. To be successful, I have to remember to thaw things out in time too! :)

The first week was pastas and casseroles so not a huge challenge BUT I know how old it can get eating a variation of the same food over and over so I wanted to experiment with more meat/ main dishes this week. Here are some recipes I tried. I haven't eaten them yet so no guaruntees. . .

(Sidebar: The best part: my husband actually said to me that he's really touched that I'd take that time to do something for him instead of myself followed by "You're a good mom and a good wife". Oh, how I love him!)

When labeling freezer bags, I name the item and label with cooking instructions and serving suggestions along with date prepared. Example:

Cheddar Bacon Chicken w/ Zingy Ranch.
Thaw, Oil crock pot; Low 6-8.
Serve w/ potatoes.
1/2/12


Cheddar Bacon Chicken w/ Zingy Ranch

2 T olive oil
--3-4 chicken breasts
--12 pieces cooked and crumbled bacon
--1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
--1/2 cup Ranch salad dressing
--1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Put the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the bottom of your crock and spread it around.
Put the chicken in the crock on top of the oil.
In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce and the ranch dressing. Pour sauce over the top of the chicken. Add the shredded cheese and the crumbled bacon to the crock, getting between the chicken pieces, if you can.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4.

Bag It:
Chicken on bottom. Then sauce, bacon, cheese. Seal, label and freeze!


Mexican Chicken & Rice

- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 8 oz block of cream cheese (I used fat free)
- Can of Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- Can of Corn, drained.
- Can of Rotel

Directions:
Put frozen chicken in the crock pot.
Put Cream cheese on top of the chicken.
Dump in the drained and rinsed Black Beans, drained corn & rotel.
Cover & cook in your Crock Pot on low for 6-8 hours.
Chicken can be shredded before serving over rice.

Bag It:
Chicken on bottom. Separate cream cheese block to distribute amongst the chicken breasts. Mix the canned ingredients first and then add to bag. Seal, label and store flat.


Chili Maple Chicken
4 Chicken Breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon chili powder

Directions:
Oven: Thaw & place in baking dish and bake at 350°F until the juices run clear (20-30 minutes).
Crockpot: cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 or until done.

Bag It:
Chicken on bottom. All other previously-combined ingredients poured over top. Seal, label and lay flat.

Ranch Pork Chops
4-6 Pork Chops (preferably boneless)
1 packet dry ranch
1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup

Directions:
Place chops in bottom of crock. Combine ranch with soup and spread over chops. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.

Bag It:
Chops on bottom. All other previously-combined ingredients poured over top. Seal, label and lay flat.


Pineapple Pork Chops
4-6 Pork Chops
¾ cup pineapple preserves
1 can pineapple, undrained (chunk, crushed, or tidbits would all work)
1 tsp ground curry

Directions:
Place chops in bottom of crock. Combine all other ingredients in a small bowl and then spread over chops. Cook on low about 6 hours.

Bag It:
Chops on bottom. All other previously-combined ingredients poured over top. Seal, label and lay flat.

My previous post of Hawaiian Chicken could also easily be frozen before placing in the crock. I plan to do more hunting for ideas using cheaper meat too: ground turkey and ground beef. Those, I typically have as freezer-to-oven recipes instead (pastas and casseroles mostly) so we’ll see! Happy Freezer Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment