Background

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Master Update: Let There Be Light!

The master bedroom renovation project is still underway and getting oh so close. We have lights! Both were rehabed (one's completely new actually). The first: a spray-painted update to an old boring white ceiling fan. The second= much more creative!

The ceiling fan was disassembled, taped off and spray painted for a fresh brushed nickel updating:



The end result:
Much more fitting when the rest of the space will seem fresh and new!

The second light fixture took out a ceiling fan. I wanted to do a rendition of the fan light cover I did in the nursery recently featured (below), but as a pendant light.

So, I went searching for an affordable pendant and found one on clearance at Lowe's for $7 with the wiring and everything! It was the wrong color, but, of course, I still had the silver spray paint so. . .
My $7 fixture came with this cheap little cover even! It came in handly as you'll see!

I taped off the cord and all wires and gave it two quick coats!

Ready for a new shade!
I contructed another shade similar to the nursery one but with hemp instead for a more natural look. I was going to use a much bigger ball but it didn't work right with the space. Since it hangs lower to be seen from the entry to the bedroom, I went with the same standard size $1 ball from Walmart. Then, I trimmed it up to make the openings as even and level as possible with a near perfect circular opening at its base and top. At the top, I attached the wire frame from the decontructed tiny cheap shade that came with the kit I snagged on clearance!

I simply cut off all of the plastic and fabric on that shade and used the metal base which screws on to the hanging pendant to affix the shade with some bendable wire which was $2. Overall, I spent maybe $12 to get add this semi-feminine flare to the second part of our master! (I don't need too much light in there since each closet has its own, I'll have a lighted vanity in one corner and a reading lamp in the other next to a big comfy chair I'm still hunting down!)




No comments:

Post a Comment