Background

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nursery Jones Part 2

In May, I posted about my hankerin' to start decorating the already painted and nearly furnished nursery in my Nursery Jones post. I've since started to rehab a dresser (and have stalled at sanding so there's not much to share) and made a light fixture for the celing fan that I featured last month. At the time of my initial post, I was still very much waiting until I knew whether we are going to have a son or daughter calling the nursery home in October. On my birthday, we found out we'll have a little guy to join the family and I'll be outnumbered 3:2.

When I first got the news about having a baby boy, I was thrilled. I also felt a little less directed in carrying on with decorating the nursery (and dressing this kid to still be adorable and preppy with no frills and frolicking likely). I knew I'd stick to a sort of vintage nursery feel and try to DIY plenty of its decor while avoiding a true theme. I was having a hard time deciding what would stick to that while making the room cohesive and baby-boy-friendly. I had thought of puppies, pinwheels, fire trucks and transportation themes to all tie in to the room but it all became clearly directed with a trip to Hampton, Iowa for antique and country shopping plus a surprise flea market!

I'm working on my DIY: Cute-as-a-button mobile that I hope to feature soon. To see some of the items I bought and will also be including in the room, check out these snapshots of my vintage nursery treasures!

The black hanger will be used to hang a baby blanket or quilt on the closet door . I plan to attach it with a drawer pull so I can fit the loop on or off to change it out if the need arises (I hear baby blankets are one of the most popular gifts given).

The white pieces each have four hooks and will hang inside the closet door. After all, one of the clothing items I'm most excited for with a baby boy is hats. He already has two newsboy style hats just waiting for his adorable little head!

So, not only are these crates super old and cool looking, they came with a greenish bottom on one and red in the other fitting right into the color scheme. AND, they're old carnation milk crates which is pretty cool for a baby's room! (You know the phrase, "Must be the milkman's kid"?) My husband's response. "Wait, you want these hung on the wall?" He really hates holes in the wall for heavy items in which he almost always insists on an anchor screw. It's a wonder we don't fight constantly through our many projects.

You can also see the wheels I bought. Ooh! ooh! ooh! I had to have them. There were four, but I only got three because of this final find. . .

My (well his) vintage trike! And it's of far higher quality than the ones we can buy today. It's just for decoration (though the dogs would try to use it otherwise if I let them) and will be an awesome vintage feature in the room!
Needless to say, I can't wait to finish off the room. There are only about half a dozen projects to do but I'm trying to balance that with what's becoming a nearly finished master bedroom that still needs touch-ups, final finishes and fresh holes in the drywall before we can move back in. (Sorry, Mike!)


No comments:

Post a Comment