Background

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Another Finished Project: Acid-Aged Mirrors

I'm beside myself that I actually have some finished projects lately instead of just showing you befores and inspiration pieces. This project was originally inspired by an Anthropologie product that has since been replicated by other Bloggers and DIYers. The tutorial I followed is at Vintage Revivals. I spent less than $20 on the project.

First, I had to buy a mirror to be destroyed: $5
(Side note: the god-awful ugly frame it came in will be re-purposed as well)
Then, I paid to have it cut into three pieces that would fit into existing frames: $7
Then, I spray painted the frames I had to take them from creme to a whiter white: free (leftover spray paint)
Next, I found  fabric I liked and got a small piece for my 4.5" square openings x 3: $4
Finally, I had to pay for muriatic acid to age my mirrors: $4 at Blaines (and hardly used any of the full gallon that got me; $11 at Home Depot I believe)
Other than that, I used masking tape I had on hand to attach the fabric to the backs of my frames.
The frames were featured in my inspiration entry in May as I didn't like their old look and knew I could find a way to use them in the soon-to-be-done (okay that's wishful thinking, but still) master bedroom.

The end result is pictured below. It's hard to get the full effect but they'll be hung in the master so you'll see final shots of how they work in the completed room in due time.



No comments:

Post a Comment