Background

Monday, July 11, 2011

Recipe: Easy Chicken & Noodles

For those of you don't know, I do my grocery shopping, basically, one month at a time. I clean out the car, pack up my 20+ reusable bags and have a typed-out page-long 2-column grocery liste divided by categories (or where it's found in the store) and get ready for a 2 hour adventure (at least 2 by the time the groceries are actually put away)! If I put myself in a situation to do this on a weeknight, I'm in trouble. Who feels like cooking dinner after that? I have to avoid the temptation to make grocery night frozen pizza night. After all, with frozen pizza, tehre are no leftovers for lunch the next day so we'll have to buy lunch thus starting a vicious cycle costing money I never intended to spend!

On my last shopping trip, I knew I already had one leftover uncooked chicken breast from the weekend before. I also knew I needed to start dinner while also putting away my slew of groceries. So, in twenty minutes or less, you can make a great dinner from leftover chicken breast-just one and some staple ingredients I bet you have on hand!

Easy Chicken & Noodles
1 large chicken breast, thawed
1/2 bag of egg noodles
4 oz. sour cream
1 cup milk
1 large can (14-15 oz) cream of chicken soup

Small (9-inch) skillet, Large (12-inch) skillet, and boiling pot

Spray your small skillet and add a few ounces of water. Add chicken breast and cover cooking on med-high heat. Turn after about 4 minutes. After another 3-4 minutes, it should be cooked thoroughly and ready to shred.

At the same time, boil water for your noodles. Once chicken is cooked, shred with two forks pulling apart into small pieces. Transfer to the large skillet. Add egg noodles to boiling water and boil for about 9-10 minutes until tender.

In the large skillet, combine all other ingredients with the shredded chicken and stir frequently while on medium heat. This is basically to mix all creamy ingredients thouroughly and heat through. Add any desired seasoning at this point. I used Mrs. Dash and black pepper.

Once noodles are done, drain and add to the large skillet stirring all noodles together and reduce heat to low-medium until it's warm enough to serve.

If you want, add biscuits to the oven while you're cooking everything else, slap in a vegetable when the noodles are done boiling and your meal is well-balanced and prepared in just about 20 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment