Background

Monday, September 19, 2011

Let the Parenting Debates Begin: Baby Pictures

I know there will be many important things to debate and reach agreement upon for Mike and I in the near and distant future. The first one I started is about baby pictures. With the cost of precious moments captivated on film sometimes coming with an alarming price tag, I thought it was worth discussion BEFORE I book a newborn session with a couple hundred bucks flying out the window. I want images on cd-it seems like a trend that shouldn't be out of reach. I want indoor and outdoor shots. I don't want the only studio option to always be at my house just to have an affordable photographer. So, what's a girl to do?

I asked Mike what amount he thought was acceptable for the many photographed milestones of baby's first year. "Thirty bucks. That should do it." Hmm. . . I'm guessing I may have needed to come at him with more information before the blanket question was posed. When I shared some more detail, he was in awe of yet another glorified baby expense (yes, a crib/stroller/swing/bouncy/car seat is necessary and does cost THAT much!). I have to admit I can agree that SOME of the price for products we found are, in fact, outrageous. So, we must find a compromise and solution.

Mike's idea of a compromise is this: Can't you use your push present! Have you heard of a push present? Please don't tell me that I'm the one introducing you to both the terms babymoon AND push present. I'd never heard of a push present either until I was already pregnant and planning on pushing! Well, by its simplest definition, it's a present mommy gets for all the hard work of labor and pregnancy. And my hubby did very well in deciding upon mine. I got a Nikon D3000 DSLR camera for my push present. I have NO idea how to use it but I am excited to have nicer photos as this child's life will be chronicled right here in blogland!

So, Mike is definitely on to something with this suggestion. I have every intention of paying for everything I want for both the newborn and 1-year photos: a disc, a studio, multiple outfits and indoor & outdoor pictures. However, the in-between sessions will be DIY (fingers crossed). So, the cost of the camera can be recouped with my new hobby. (Lord, please don't let me get carried away with this new hobby so it, in fact, costs more money than it ever saves us.)

Camera: check.
Book on photographing your newborn's first year: ordered.
Class on how to use your DSLR: booked for Saturday afternoon.

See what a great Daddy I have on my team? LOVE HIM! I will definitely document his smiles along with his mini me's. . . How could I resist capturing this face?

No comments:

Post a Comment