Background

Friday, September 2, 2011

Recipes to Share: Zucchini Bread

Nothing says fall like veggies in my baking. Zucchini and pumpkin make the appearance most often. If it's cool enough to bake for a fraction of the day, bake your favorite. This is a beloved recipe of my own. When we were little, Farmer's Markets sold tiny loaves of bread and my mom would let each of the three girls get their own. I always picked "bikini" bread while my sister's got something sweeter. They've since acquired the taste. . . and I've since made the bread sweeter with PINEAPPLE! I hate nuts in my bread so I replace them with things like chocolate chips or fruit. Banana nut bread? Try Banana chocolate chip bread! Try it out.

“Wet” Ingredients to combine:
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup veg oil
½ cup softened margarine (butter if you insist)
2 cups grated zucchini
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, drained 

Dry Ingredients to combine:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Preheat Oven to 350.

Combine all “wet” ingredients in large bowl and mix.

Combine all dry ingredients in medium bowl and sift to blend.
(Just use a fork or whisk if you don't have a sifter)

Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet until are moistened.

Spray two loaf pans and fill each with equal parts of batter.

Bake for about an hour on your center rack; check after 45-50 minutes. I move mine up to the top rack for the last 10-15 to be sure the top “cracks” because I like the almost crunchy bread top! You could certainly add nuts as well as there’s enough moisture in this recipe to sustain them!

Side note: A good-sized zucchini should give you 4 cups grated so you can freeze the other 2 cups in a ziploc baggie and save them for your next two loaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment