Background

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mac & Cheese for the Masses!

I served this for a party where we hosted 40 people. I can't say they all ate some but it got rave reviews from many so I'm going to safely say you could feed 25-30 average appetites with this as the side dish! I looked for a couple recipes and most large mac & cheese recipes called for a crock. Well, I had already planned to use my crock for the maid rites served so I wanted to use my electric skillet. Couldn't I have used the skillet for maid rites? You bet! But, it was already set in my mind that that wasn't happening.

So, I dove into some experimental cooking. Great idea when you're about to feed a large amount of people, right? Well, planning ahead has gone a bit by the wayside in the last year so I dared to do it anyway! This could be done on the stove top for a family-size portion instead by doing just about 1/3 of the recipe.

You'll need:
Large electric skillet 
3 lbs noodles
2 pkg velveeta shreds
2 12-oz cans evaporated milk
1 can cheddar cheese soup (low sodium recommended)
10 cups water
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tbsp salt (I used part seasoning salt)

Bring water, evaporated milk, noodles and salt to a constant simmer over medium-high heat.

Stir periodically until noodles are tender.

Add cheese soup, shredded cheese and pats of butter and stir until mixed thoroughly.

Reduce skillet temperature to warm and serve.

The result was thick creamy cheesy goodness that will probably taste even better reheated the next day! If you wanted to do thsi as a main dish, you could easily add in some meat. I'd suggest adding just a bit more of a moist ingredient however so it doesn't dry out. Try adding 2 pounds of browned ground beef to the tender noodles and 1 more can of cheddar cheese soup. Go ahead and experiment: occasionally, it works out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment