Background

Sunday, February 20, 2011

After: The Rocker

So, who doesn't love a good deal. .  , and a great garage sale find? When I first purchased this rocker & ottomon, my husband didn't see the great deal I saw, but this could be why:

BEFORE:
 At $45 for a hard-to-find double glider rocker, I knew we could rehab it. This fabric was also on the cushions that made their way out of our house so fast, I didn't get a picture. So, some wood polish, WD-40 and a trip to Pier 1 & Hobby Lobby fixed the rocker pretty quickly!

I found the chocolate colored settee bench cushion and two chair cushions you see below at the end of the season on a clearance sale. The price was still more than I would have loved to pay. I spent $80 to obtain all three pieces. I used the chair cushions as back cushions as you can see. They have ribbon pinned on each corner to tie around the chair's spindles once sewn on (below right).

I was also lucky enough to come upon a Craigslist listing for an ottoman. It was $20 and had blue fabric. I was shocked to see that the ottoman ended up the same wood finish and design as the rocker I had primped.  I found a similar fabric and pulled it tightly around the top of the existing cushion with a bit of batting placed underneath to form a smooth top despite the buttons that existed on the original upholstery of the ottoman. I stapled it to the underside of the wood top as you can see below.


This finished up my final project. It wasn't the cheapest transformation after purchasing cushions, fabric, and ribbon on top of the cost of the 2 furniture pieces. It ended up at about $150. However, it's a hard-to-find luxury that I hope to have great use for in the future. Plus, I can say I did it myself which seems to make spending a bit more money feel a bit better. 

The After:
 











No comments:

Post a Comment