Background

Monday, February 7, 2011

NFL Penalty: Excessive Celebration

We've all seen crazy touchdown dances. Well, I assume you have because I don't watch football all that much and even I've caught a few. If you're new to the concept, check this out! What I find interesting is that these dances are no longer found to be acceptable forms of celebration and are considered unsportsmanlike conduct. I use the term interesting because I, in most ways, agree. After all, touchdowns are what you get paid millions of dollars to achieve aren't they? Could you imagine getting up to do a victory dance every time you did your job well, made a good dinner, or got a great deal? Okay, I'll admit I've been tempted a time or two over a great  deal! :)

However, if there were any penalty I'd want called on me in real life, it would be this one. It would definitely come with danger. In most cases, this excessive celebration is a result of rejoicing in one's own accomplishments (there's the danger). In my life, I'd be thrilled to get caught excessively celebrating someone else's. Have you ever stopped yourself from seeming too excited? For yourself? For others? I know people on both ends of the celebration spectrum. . .





<From apathetic to ecstatic!>




Positivity isn't something that comes easily to all of us. It's something I would certainly like to increase in my own life and in my contributions to the lives of others. The apathetic response certainly can't be motivating and might cause you to become a person with whom people aren't that excited to share news. The ecstatic appraoch may be a bit over the top and cause you to become the person others can't tell anything. . . in public! I would like to land at overtly excited versus overly excited. This, I'm thinking, would cause me to become the person people are excited to share good news with! And who doesn't want to hear good news?

So, on this Monday (the most popular day in Western culture), find someone worth celebrating and do it out loud. Do it out of character even. If you are already the Pollyanna in your group of friends, extend yourself to celebrate someone outside your normal circle. If you're the Eeyore in the group, start with a celbration of yourself and then extend yourself. To all my friends and family-you are cause for excessive celebration and I use these posts to do it when I can't see your beautiful faces and embrace you with hugs that warm your bones. Sending my love your way! Pass it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment