Background

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Technological Intimacy

Describe ten ways in which technology helps benefit your romantic relationship. Give me five and I'll be surprised. I'm shocked at how technology both increases and decreases communication. It definitely has its advantages. 

Facebook: My husband started his first lengthy conversation with me via facebook messages. I'm able to keep up with people that aren't close in proximity through facebook. I can sometimes get the quickest responses via facebook because of some people's app to their cell phone. All great advantages.

Cell phones (specifically text messaging): I text much more often than I ever imagined. It can act as a great reminder. It's a quick way to communicate when you're actually working at work and can't chat any longer than it takes you to type and read a message. It certainly makes me feel that I have more constant and instant access in case of emergency or the need to share urgent news with any one of my contacts. It's amazing for the speed of Q and A that would otherwise require phone tag!

No objections on these two being great for increasing communication, though not often intimacy. Now, I know there are ways to send messages that some might consider more intimate than "Don't forgot to drop off the utility bill". I'm not going there. . . here. There is some technology that doesn't help my relationship or intimacy at all: TV & XBox!

The few times that we agree on watching the same program, sure we end up on the same couch. However, that's more of a rarity than I ever anticipated based on the adhesive that seemed to hold us together before marriage. More often, we rejoice in the fact that we have two tvs and living spaced to divide and conquer. A sad reality that I suppose some compromise would remedy. However, there's too much compromise required to address our other technological divider.

As we speak, my husband is in the basement playing some game that sounds like it may involve racing by the humming and whining constant noise I can hear as I watch American Idol on the upstairs television. A sad truth. I have taken a couple tries at playing his shoot 'em up pointless games while he needed a partner for a level that requires two players. Guaranteed, it took us longer than he imagined and left my thumbs cramping. Even after a couple evenings of these attempts, I was no more amused or enthused to jump into such activity again. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this: our technology purchases have their pros and cons as most things do and I'd love to hear how you make them work for the both of you, at the same time, in the same room. Go ahead-give me your best idea and I almost promise to try it at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment