Background

Friday, May 27, 2011

Project Update: The Latest Nursery Addition, Master BR Color & "Befores"

Nursery Fan Makeover
So, it's been a while since I posted a project because I've actually been doing them. Big surprise, right?! Below are pictures of the latest addition to the nursery. We had a naked ceiling fan. We got an awesome light kit from my dad and his wife for Christmas but it was disappointingly not compatible with the existing fan. Alas, I looked for a DIY makeover option instead. $6 later, we have this!


It looks like a plain old globe light in this picture. Wait for it. . .

Of course, this view is incomplete without seeing how it will fit into the entire room. We plan to go with a very naturistic feel using natural and aged elements in the room. Thus, I hope it works when all the projects start coming together. (T-minus 10 days til I know which decor to start: boy stuff or girl?) It cost me $2.50 for Aleen's clear tacky craft glue at Hobby Lobby. I still have more than half a bottle. $1 got me a small bouncy ball at Wal-mart and another $2.50 got me white string in their craft section. That's all I used to get this wonderful contraption completed.

The full tutorial I checked out is here: http://www.craftynest.com/2009/03/hemp-pendant-lamps/. I went for a bit of a lighter look with thinner string and let it cure for about a week before deflating the ball just to be safe. I plan to make a larger one of twine/ hemp for our master and affixing it to a simple pendant lamp with no fan since there's one ceiling fan already! Oh-about the fan-some people wondered how this would sit still when the fan is running. Luckily, it's attached to the base which should sit pretty steady on a well-built fan so it stays put with the fan running no problem!


It was surprisingly easy to attach too. The screws that sit on the fan where a glass piece can be put in were used. Oh yeah-69 cents for three new screws, so we're up to $6.69. I just worked the fixture back and forth to fit over each screw and it holds it in place just fine. It's basically just sitting on top of each one; I didn't have to hold it still while screwing through the fixture so, like I said, surprisingly easy! Now, I have to decide if I should paint it or not. If I do, I think the glue flakes that are clear and not apparent now, will show up and cause a headache so it's likey to stay white like the fan it's attached to.

Master BR Color
The bedroom is completely painted with minor touch-ups to be done this weekend. We still have all the trim to put up including baseboards, windows, closet door frames and the entry door. Thus, it only looks close to done. Add that to the many projects I'm still planning to complete for decor (remember-this bedroom was bare when we moved in and so dreadfully ugly, I didn't even unpack the bedroom decor I already owned let alone get anything new). I'm so excited to put it all together AND sleep in our own room again!



Waterscapes by Behr in Satin finish on sand textured walls. We did knowckdown texture on the celining.


Befores
For more teasers, here are some upcoming projects. These are my befores and works in progress.
I got these 2 boxes (the peices with handles sit inside the open/ shelf-like pieces) at an antique store for $10. I don't need that particular color but would like the extra storage. Where will they go and what new use will they have?

I got this dresser for FREE. Well, pretty much. I helped a friend get ready for a garage sale. Who wouldn't benefit from having someone else mark your valuables at a price others will actually pay? In return, she gifted me this dresser she had in her garage with no use for some time. Rehab is coming and it's needed; check out the top of the dresser. I'm all for distressed but not plain stressed out!



No comments:

Post a Comment