Background

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Yes, I AM a Yes Person

Many of us claim to be "yes people" (especially in job interviews). At work, I truly believe I'm a yes person. I'm even the person who feels bad when I HAVE to say no. At home, yes, I'll do that and that and that. Elsewhere, not as much now that life pretty much revolves around those two places. However, I'm finding a reason to be a new kind of "yes person". Here's my reason:


Garrett at 3 weeks old. Smiling? Or opening for binky? :)

The new "yes" comes from my mouth when someone offers help, an extra hand, a meal, a favor, etcetera. I've typically been very bad at even accepting offers of assistance let alone go out of my way to look for or voluntarily find and use help. I'm challenging myself to be better at this. It's for my own benefit and sanity and will ultimately result in a better person to offer to my loved ones. Knowing that I now have a very important role in meeting the needs of that little guy is motivation enough to swallow my pride and say "yes"!

I won't lie-it's not been the easiest transition. I hate being made to look like I NEED help. So, if I were asked if I NEED something, I'd still very likely say "no". However, if I were asked if someone could do something for me, I'm much more likely to say "yes". What's more? We're going to our church's Wednesday dinner for connecting families! No one asked us, invited us, or anything. They just put it in the bulletin and I told Mike that I thought it was a great opportunity for us and not JUST because we're new parents but because it is really about connecting.  I imagine connections with families in our boat, past our boat, or even those who've ditched this boat and are swimming to some empty nest shore can be to our benefit and contribute to our growth as Christians individually and as our little family.

So, thank you to all of you who have offered, sorry to all of those I've declined, and thank God for giving me this realization now. I am guessing that parenting will lead to many more much needed favors in the years to come and I've got to continue to work on on my "yes" and my own help-seeking for this purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment