Background

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Masterful Inspiration & Thrifty Finds

So. . . it's been a while since my last post and this is why. It's hard to post on projects when you're busy doing them. The master bedroom renovation has been going swimmingly. The pace picked up and I realized all of my ideas needed to get set in motion sooner than I anticipated! Needless to say, all of my ideas required some shopping. Thus, I'm highlighting some of my projects to come and my thrillingly thrifty finds!


First, we have two ceiling fans in boring white and one has no actual light fixture so, they're now disassembled with a pendant light ready to be ordered for my slightly feminine corner of the room. The disassembled fans will be spray painted in brushed nickel for a cheap and quick update before being put back up in the room. The light that's coming is from World Market. Believe it or not, my attempt at shopping to DIY it quickly told me it'd be cheaper to order it (if I can find a way out of the $20-30 shipping charge)!


Already painted one and Mike gets to figure out how to get it back together!
Another project is to add some framed flare and I had an old set of country style framed words I had gotten as a gift. Super cute, but I have no place for them currently so, they'll now end up either with some patterned mirrors or a fancy filling that ties all the colors of the room together. We'll see. Here's the starting point (notice the backs that make it easy to remove the existing pieces for a quick re-do)!
Another to project come will include a shelf. We're mounting our small flat screen TV when the room is done but there is only about 30 inches of clearance between the end of our bed and the wall, so I can't add a shelf very deep. I found Ikea's lack shelf but it's still too deep and pretty boring. I need it oak to match the big pics I plan to hang on either side of the tv. So. . . I found Ikea Hackers! With it, came this post and I'm going to give a try. Even better? I don't have to start with the $30 lack shelf from Ikea because I found a 24 inch long (BUT 5 inches wide) floating shelf for $2.99 at a local liquidation store. Go figure-LUCK was on my side!

So, on to shopping. I found these steals of deals of CB2! I plan to stagger them above our headboard and soon-to-come reading lamps below some cursive wall words. The wall mounted tea light holders and beaker vases will be great! And did you notice how cheap they are?

Additional finds are as follows:
Vintage owl salt and pepper shakers (not to be used as such) for $2.50 at consignment.
And black pedestal $3.99 at liquidation because it's crooked so I'll have to get out the sander.

Small decorator box for a little flare: $3

Capiz shell frame to match my pendant light (hard to find) and only $5!
And a glass ball wrapped in wire to blend with the glass pieces coming from CB2: $1
 

   
These are my thrifty finds and projects to come. There's so much more in store and I can't wait for the big reveal. Our goal: My birthday on June 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment